On Jul 19, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

On 19 Jul 2007, at 00:43 , Jim Fulton wrote:
On Jul 18, 2007, at 5:24 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

Up until now we've been a bit sloppy when it came to egg dependencies. Not specifying a version number or range basically means that the code in question assumes it will work with any future version of its dependency. Admittedly, setuptools doesn't exactly make it easy to say "I depend on ZODB 3.8.x". Jim has proposed to add a syntax to setuptools to support this nicely but it's not there yet. So I guess we'll have to wait for that.

Heads up: I've come to think that depending on major revisions/ series isn't going to work. I'll say more about that in a separate thread though.

Now you tell us :).

I just realized this over the weekend and even then wanted to discuss it with some folks.

In the long run, it might be better to only reuse packages that offer some backward compatibility promises. Depending on a specific version will make the dependent packages less reusable.

That makes sense. So, coming back to the real world: we have two issues at hand. One is docutils, one is zope.testbrowser which depends on mechanize and ClientForm (Adam is working on that, CCing him as well).

With docutils I understand that it makes much sense to do this at application level. With mechanize and ClientForm I'm not so sure. What I *do* know is that the current situation (packaging them *inside* the zope.testbrowser egg) isn't ideal (same goes for twisted, btw).

Agreed.

Should the next zope.testbrowser simply depend on any version of mechanize and ClientForm?

I hope so. :)

[1] This problem has bitten us over at Grok because apparently Ubuntu has decided to deploy docutils 0.4.1 which doesn't seem to actually exist anywhere and therefore confuses zc.buildout. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/126742.

I'm fairly sure that this has nothing to do with version numbers. I suspect instead that it has something to do with the fact that all distributions are now installed as "develop eggs" on ubuntu. The locations of these eggs is actually site-packages. This sounds very wonky to me, but Phillip Eby says it is normal.

It's actually necessary (to install these things as eggs) because many packages nowadays depend on entry points. One could argue, obviously, that their location (site-packages) isn't ideal...

My objection isn't to install them as eggs, I'm a big fan of eggs, I'm just mystified by installing them as develop eggs. In any case, PJE tells me this is correct, so I need to deal with it.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org