On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Benji York wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
I'd really like to get to closure on the current approved release process.

There are other improvements that might be made, but let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

This isn't perfect, so I get to suggest it. <wink>

I propose that we codify the practice of release tags having their x.y.z version number as their name, and in the setup.py.

Which implies that we codify 3-number version numbers, that is:

with optional modifiers of the form dev, aN, bN, or cN.

I also suggest a special version numbering scheme when we package something else. For example, if we package Twisted ro package some external js library in a Python package. In this case, I suggest we use the version number of the thing being packages with the addition of a post-release addition. For example, a packaging of MochiKit 1.3.1 might have a version # like 1.3.1-1, or, if it is exciting enough: 1.3.1-1.1

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation