On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Baiju M wrote:

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/ releasing-software.txt
>> Cool.  I think you can delete 5b.  You already update the date,
>> as you should, on the trunk or branch.  You want the actual
>> release date to be part of the change log, so it has to be
>> entered before making the tag.
> Done.
>> I think we need to split "d" into:
>> d) "Create a source release"
>> e) Test the source release. At a minimum, rerun the package tests
>> using the source release. (I really need to add a buildout option
>> to help with this.)
> So how would I do this? This feels a bit complicated:
> 1. Create a source distribution with::
> $ python setup.py sdist
> 2. Extract the tarball::
> $ tar xzf dist/foo.package-X.Y.tgz
> 3. Edit buildout.cfg to make the result of the tarball a develop
> egg *instead* of the stuff in 'src'::
> [buildout] develop = foo.package-X.Y
> 4. Rerun the buildout::
> $ bin/buildout
> 5. Run the tests::
> $ bin/test

 No. :)

 Currently, you could:

 - Create the source distro. (Note that I always use sparkling clean
 Pythons, so the command you give doesn't work for me as setuptools
 isn't importable. I always use: bin/buildout setup . sdist

Why you cannot install setuptools ?

It's not that I cannot. I *will* not.

I like my Python to be shiny sparkly clean. My Python is what I get after running configure, make, make-install. Period. My site- packages is empty. IMO, this is the only sane way to develop.

Also, I get very very very cranky when someone wastes my time with a problem that is ultimately traced to crap installed in their Python that isn't part of a standard install. Very cranky. I'm feeling cranky just thinking about it. :)

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation