On Oct 10, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

Hi there,

I just tried something Stephan also tried, but deserves another topic. I just wrote a simple script that takes all the eggs grok uses and tries to run their tests. This is to see whether our pile of eggs isn't broken in some way.

I get a ton of errors. Mostly a ton of import errors, but other things as well, probably mostly due to version skew where one release assumes it can do things with APIs in another release that another release doesn't allow yet or not anymore.

And then the whole testrunner bails out somewhere in the middle:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/faassen/buildout/grok-0.10/testbuildout/bin/test", line 115, in ? zope.testing.testrunner.run((['--tests-pattern', '^f?tests$', '- v']) + [ File "/home/faassen/buildout-eggs/tmpRHS1Xv/zope.testing-3.4- py2.4.egg/zope/testing/testrunner.py", line 271, in run File "/home/faassen/buildout-eggs/tmpRHS1Xv/zope.testing-3.4- py2.4.egg/zope/testing/testrunner.py", line 448, in run_with_options File "/home/faassen/buildout-eggs/tmpRHS1Xv/zope.testing-3.4- py2.4.egg/zope/testing/testrunner.py", line 661, in resume_tests
zope.testing.testrunner.SubprocessError

We'll have a lot of work cut out for us to fix this.

This is one point where I can see an evolving index will help. The trouble is we ended up starting with such a messed up state in the first place. :(

2 minor notes:

- zc.buildout and some recipes tests don't run properly outside of their buildouts. This is because the test setup leverages aspects iof the buildout, especially the presense of the source to build develop eggs needed for the tests. This almost certainly can and should be fixed, but I consider it a low priority in relation to other priorities and limited resources.

- ZODB packaging, which is waaaaaay too complicated for hysterical reasons, fails to include some files needed for testing. This makes it impossible to run the tests outside of it;s development environment. This too can and should be fixed. I consider this a higher priority but won't have time to deal with it for a while. I think ZODB's setup should be rewritten from scratch. Much of the complexity arises from working around limitations in distutils, some of which have been fixed. Other complexity probably arises from a stubborn desire not to require setuptools for ZODB. Anyway, if someone wants to ehlp with the setup script, it would be appreciated, Otherwise, I'll get to it eventually. In the mean time, I suggest not running the ZODB tests.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation