Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
I constantly run into the fact that the default namechooser in Zope 3 is too dumb.

Does anybody object in making it a little more smart? That is:

* replace all non us-ascii and otherwise harmful chars by something useful (base-form or alike)

Why would you want to replace all non-ASCII characters by default? Names of contained objects can be unicode, and URLs can contain unicode segments as well (encoded as UTF-8). Having the default namechooser make the arbitrary decision of disallowing everything that's not ASCII seems quite arbitrary.

* replace spaces by - or _

Again, object names may contain spaces. I don't understand why this should be the *default* policy. If you need this kind of stuff, then I suggest you write your own namechooser; it's quite trivial.