Jeff Shell wrote:
And I think that's where I worry. With ZCML, name resolution happens
very late.   This seems to cut down on the problems that I've had with
Zope 2 style configuration. If imports are in the top of the module,
as most developers are used to doing, then they're executed as the
module is imported for the first time. This is why I don't want
'configure.py' to be imported by other code if it can be helped.

Zope 2 imports are ugly because of side effects. In the absence of side effects, it's better to import early to reveal ImportErrors early. This is probably the reason ZCML actually evaluates imports earlier than you suggest.

'import' is better and cleaner, but it's a situation where I worry
about side effects unless the imports are outside of the top level of
these hypothetical 'configure.py' modules.

We've provided developers a way to achieve configuration with no side effects. I think this is a major accomplishment in the Python community--until now, there was no standard way to avoid side effects in Python code in general. With that problem solved, we should stop worrying about import side effects and make this new functionality thoroughly easy to use in all Python code.

Hmm... now that I think of it that way, maybe it would be perfectly appropriate to create a Python-only ZCML for use outside Zope. Then Zope could use it if it wants to.

Shane