I have exactly the same situation, as I am writing a network management tool.  I am using one big container and a local catalog. Then you can slice and dice as best suits you.  I also think it is more extensible if you ever think you might add new object types.

There is also the relationships stuff in Schooltool.  I haven't needed it yet, but I was thinking it might be useful.

Matt Wilbert