Shailesh Kumar wrote:
Hi,
When I look at the Creation time and Modification time in any of the container views, it shows me the UTC time. Looking at zope.app.container.browser.contents.py <http://zope.app.container.browser.contents.py>: Line 174 I found that:

            formatter = self.request.locale.dates.getFormatter(
                'dateTime', 'short')

            created = self.safe_getattr(dc, 'created', None)
            if created is not None:
                info['created'] = formatter.format(created)

            modified = self.safe_getattr(dc, 'modified', None)
            if modified is not None:
                info['modified'] = formatter.format(modified)

is being used to compute them.

No, the local formatter is used to *format* dates according to the current locale. 8th of March this year, for example would be "3/8/2007" in the U.S. English locale, but "08.03.2007" in the German locale.

I am puzzled, how does the browser set its locale? I guess this must be a very basic question. But I am not able to figure it out.

request.locale is set according to the most preferred language/locale returned by the IUserPreferredLanguages adapter for the request. The default adapter reads browser's the Accept-Language header. More advanced adapters could use cookies or something else that the user can influence though the website directly.

My book talks about this in detail: http://worldcookery.com

2nd edition of Web Component Development with Zope 3 is now shipping!