On Dec 20, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Darryl Cousins wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply.

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 18:23 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
On Dec 20, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Darryl Cousins wrote:

Is it possible to define in which order the parts are built.

Yes, they are built in the order listed.

You must mean the order the sections are listed and not the order listed
in parts.

No. I meant the order listed in the parts option.

I've tried playing with both orderings but when I start the
buildout it first runs through the develop eggs

develop eggs are not parts. They are built using whatever Python is used to run the buildout.

then starts on with ZODB

I don't see ZODB listed in your buildout. If it is a dependency of one of your recipes, that would cause it to be built with your system Python.

- and the custom python is not built.

That's difficult for me to believe. I might try to reproduce your buildout, but I don't have the various bits it wants to build as a develop eggs.

1. Eggs (eg ZODB) are byte-comiled with system python.

Byte-compilation isn't really the issue. The issue is extensions. if ZODB is a dependency of any recipes, then it will be build with whatever Python is used to run the buildout.

2. Couldn't get postgresql to build first so that psycopg2 finds those

Move postgresql to the front of your parts list. Your interpreter part lists the psycopg2 egg. The egg recipe will download this distribution and try to install it. At that point, it hasn't gotten to your psycopg2 part yet.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation