Regarding my html-mode-hook suggestion:

    >> Nope, didn't work.

It looks like html-mode is actually a refinement of sgml-mode.  After

    Major mode for editing HTML documents.
    This is based on PSGML mode, and has a sophisticated SGML parser in it.
    It knows how to properly indent HTML/SGML documents, ...

How about

    (setq sgml-mode-hook
       (function
         (lambda ()
           (turn-on-auto-fill))))

instead?  Setting text-mode-hook may also do the trick:

    (setq text-mode-hook
       (function
         (lambda ()
           (turn-on-auto-fill))))

In sgml-mode (which html-mode is derived from), I see

    (run-hooks 'text-mode-hook 'sgml-mode-hook)

so either ought to work, presuming sgml-mode doesn't do something further to
defeat auto-fill-mode.

If all else fails, search the xemacs newsgroup archives at deja.com or mail
the package's maintainer (his email is at the top of psgml.el)...

--
Skip Montanaro, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.mojam.com/, http://www.musi-cal.com/
"We have become ... the stewards of life's continuity on earth.  We did not