This is a 'feature' of the product initialization process.  Note that I
am just documenting buginess here, I should try to fix this when

When a Product can't be initialized (a syntax error, a bad import,
whatever), sometimes it will revert back to the state at which it wrote
a good *.pyc file and continue along its merry way without giving you
any indication there is a problem.

Two things:

Turn on the STUPID_LOG_FILE.  Its contents will show you problems during
problem initialization.  See for more info.  Scan
the mail list archives for STUPID if this howto doesn't suit you

When you really, truly want to refresh a product, delete the product
from the control_panel and restart.  I *think* that updating version.txt
in the product folder has the same effect.