>I have reinstalled zope and zodb, and copied the data.fs across.  It was
>about two days old.  All the changes that I had made were gone.  Luckily I
>made a backup of my app yesterday by exporting it.
>I must have a bad understanding of how this works.  I had imagined that
>everytime I hit CHANGE, that the data.fs file would have been updated.

It should

>When the computer crashed where were all my current changes?  Is there a
>temp file I might be able to recover, as I am still missing quite a few
>hours work!

THis never happened to me before, but it did yesterday (zope 2.1.4 on Win95)
! This seems like a bug.

As for your error: I have had to throw away a corrupted (read: one that
couldn't be opened) logfile before on NT. It made it possible to restart
Zope again. I have wondered what strange corruptions could happen to a
logfile, but apparently this may happen at times (especially if the logfile
is getting big)