Costagliola Giovanni wrote:
> Il gio, 27 lug 2000, Oleg Broytmann ha scritto:
> > On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Costagliola Giovanni wrote:
> > >     How can I to start Zope whit a different user than root and cath the
> > > default HTTP port?
> >
> >    Use different way - start Zope as root, catch port 80 and drop uid.
> >
> > >     I receive an error becouse root hasn't granted the need privileges on
> > > /Zope/var/ directory.
> >
> >    This is a different error, not a problem with port 80, ah?
> >
> I see Oleg, more exactly I would start ZServer with an user like 'zope', for
> example, but at the same time I want it links the port 80!
> I could use the root user simply but I'll lose my sleep :^)
> Can you give me some input?

If you want to bind to ports <1024 you _must_ be root. ZXope can run as another user
-u <user> option), but it must be _started_ as root, if you want to bind to port 80.

Sorry, there is no other way, short of making Sope SUID, which is a very, very, very,
very, very, very bad idea.

<ridiculously large sig snipped>

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.