Nitesh Dhanjani wrote:
> yes, but it would solve the permission problem the original poster
> mentioned.

No, because the orignal user wanted to _start_ Zope as user zope. Unless that user has
UID/GID of 0 (is, is root by another name),  the file permissions are irrelevant. Now,
to _running_ (ie, switch to once bound), the directory permissions come into play.

I was basing my response of of:
> How can I to start Zope whit a
> different user than root and cath the
> default HTTP port?

> I see Oleg, more exactly I would start
> ZServer with an user like 'zope', for
> example, but at the same time I want it
> links the port 80!

Of course, it is entirely possible the user meant something other than s/he wrote. ;)
that last one doesn't seem to indicate that.

To put it succinctly:
If you want Zope to bind to port 80 on *nix
you have few options:

 o Change Zope to run SID ** Bad Idea
 o Modify the kernel so _anyone_
   can bind to ports under 1024 ** even worse
 o START Zope as root, run it as a
   non-priviledged user, preferably one without
   a login.

File permissions are irrelevenat when binding to ports under 1024 on Unix.

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.