I replied to the message below promising to edit Renderable's
README to explicitly declare that I don't consider ZClass
subclassing to be a derivative work for the purposes of the
GPL.

Somehow, I didn't get my reply from the list. But never mind.

I went to my folder on Zope.org to edit the README and, surprise!

  License: ZPL

Renderable wasn't even GPL'ed to begin with. And this isn't a
mistake; now that I think if it, I clearly remember having
chosen the ZPL so that DC folks could easily take the changes
and merge them into Zope if they wished.

I don't know about you, but after this thread has degenerated
into a wholesale flamewar, I find this fact rather amusing.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 03:30:16PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:

> but the use of GPL'ed source code like e.g. Renderable ZClass
> in your web site probably means that you're now forced to publish
> every single bit of source built using the GPL'ed module --
> including commercial intranet projects. This can be impossible
> if you don't own the rights to every single piece of code used
> in a project.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
         pgp key: http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo/pessoal/pgp

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar