> but get an authentication challenge that I can not pass.
> Is there something special about sql updates?

I haven't used SQL in Zope but I experienced the same thing, an
authentication request that cannot be satisfied even by the superuser
account. For me I found that it happened when I was in a particular
dtml-with block and I referred to the id property of the current object. I
changed my <dtml-var id> to <dtml-var title_or_id> and the problem went
I think there may be a bug in Zope regarding accessing the id properties of
certain objects.
I hope this is some use to you, it may be that you have a completely
different problem though.
I would be interested to hear the outcome once you get it working and work
out what the problem was.

Good luck

Alex Bowyer
IT Contractor, Logica Australasia