I'm trying to write a replacement form which allows users to upload
images into a folder. I'm almost there, but not quite.

I'm having difficulties getting the file contents into the database. I
have an <input type="file"> field, and I'm fairly sure that the data
is being sent. When I create the Image however, I use
file=REQUEST['file'], and the resulting image stores the path to the
file, instead of the file contents. So, given that I've uploaded a
file, and that its name is in REQUEST['file'], how do I get at its
contents when creating the Image?