Thanks for your answers!

I am looking forward for Unicode-Zope, but for now the solution proposed by D. Maurer
is sufficient for me. (I suppose it is equally good to insert a Content-Type meta-tag
in the standard_html_header?)
This one line doesn't hurt, although W. Strobl seems to be right, especially taking
into account the following 2 statements in RFC 2616:

'Some HTTP/1.0 software has interpreted a Content-Type header without charset
parameter incorrectly to mean "recipient should guess."'

but also:

'Unfortunately, some older HTTP/1.0 clients did not deal properly with an explicit
charset parameter.'

I encountered these problems especially on the Mac (up to Netscape 3, as far as I can
remember). But as it seems, the time to care about this misbehaviour is over now.

Markus Kemmerling