>  - are you accessing your server from the same machine using
>    the name 'localhost'? If so, do you have a hosts file with
>    that name in it? This has been a problem for windows users
>    before (very long latency if you are offline and have no
>    'hosts' file).

the hosts file was there, and there was a localhost entry in it. Sorry, I
should have been more precise. I only had the latency, accessing the zope
server from some clients. Accessing zope from the server machine was fine.

So I made a (fake) entry to the hosts file for the client machine, which
accesses the server and the latency was gone :)

Really strange, release 2.2.4 and before ran  perfect without that.

But, nevertheless, thanks a lot for the hint.

Bories v. dem Bussche