You could do that using the excellent TextIndexNG inside a ZCatalog. This will allow you to index all your documents inside the TextIndexNG, and then search them using ZCatalog.

TextIndexNG includes support for a number of plugins in order to convert from MS Office/PDF to text and then index them.

We're using the tool inside our project (PAFlow) and we think it is an excellent product.

Robert Sösemann wrote:

I am using a ZOPE-based application on top of the ZOPE APE
( persitence mechanism (sort of
binary storage). So the binaries are in the normal unix file system. I now need
to extend my application to allow full-text search inside binaries document of
the Office Word/Excel/PPT and PDF format.

In the first step, I would be happy to find a tool/python/zope module that just tells me that a certain string is in a document, without telling me the exact place of that occurence.

Do you have solved a similar problem or know any tool to implement this
functionality? I am looking forward to your questions.

PS: I have seen similar questions on other ZOPE lists, but they never had
meaningful answers.

Gölz & Schwarz GmbH Waltherstr. 29, 80337 München, Germany phone: + 49 - (0)89 / 54 46 70 - 0 fax: +49 - (0)89 / 54 46 70 - 10 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] web: ________________________________________
Sie suchen den aktiven Dialog mit Ihren Kunden? Sie möchten neue Wege gehen, um
Ihre Zielgruppen online zu motivieren und zu binden? Dann haben wir genau das Richtige
für Sie: Marketing Suite - die Komplett-Lösung für intelligentes Online Marketing!
Informationen zur Marketing Suite erhalten Sie unter
Zope maillist -
** No cross posts or HTML encoding! **
(Related lists - )