--On Montag, 25. April 2005 10:42 Uhr +0200 Daniel Dekany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As someone who works often with Java I absolutely agree with it. Just I don't know how to do it with Zope/Plone/other 3rd party products (not written by me), since they use not unicode strings. I don't know, maybe it can be specified for Python that it uses unicode for plain strings as well, but anybody has successfully done that with Zope? Like, what about the C parts of Zope then?

Well back in the history of Zope there was only ascii and Python had no unicode
support. Unicode support moved into Zope over time. Some parts are still having problems
and these problems will never be solved completely. The sources are just too old.
But there is usually a good way to get around a particular problem. Zope 3 in contrast
uses Unicode everywhere...so it is clean by design. Unfortunately there is no magic
treat-all-my-strings-as-unicode-strings in Python. So if you still have a specific problem
ask again and we might help. In your case it should be easy to convert your utf8 data
to unicode strings and sort then using the existing methods.

Andreas