Just in case anyone can shed anymore light on zope memory woes, here is
where I've got to in my investigation:

- Memory grows and mostly doesn't shrink.
- Its not due to objects that can't be collected by the GC
- Its not due to the ZODB cache

That leaves the following causes I think
- RAMCache etc and module/class variables. Either mine, plone's or zope's.
- Pythons design of not releasing memory from small objects back to the OS
http://www.sauria.com/~twl/conferences/pycon2005/20050325/Improving%20Python's%20Memory%20Allocator.html

   Has anyone tried to determine how much of an average catalog search is
<256kb? I'm guessing a lot.

- Some other kind of reference being help somewhere in the zope machinery.

Any tips anyone?