--On 19. Juli 2005 17:15:25 -0700 Francis Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I recently installed TextIndexNG2 2.1.1

which is *pretty old*. Take a look at the v 2.2.0 which has been optimized over the time in different ways. Consider using StupidStorage as documented in the release notes.

I've been struck that if the number of search hits is high, TextIndexNG2
is much slower than ZCTextIndex. For example, if I do a search on
'podcast' (our site deals w/ podcasting) I get about 14,000 hits.
ZCTextIndex returns the results in about 0.1 seconds; TextIndexNG2 takes
31 seconds or 300 times longer. In general, the more hits there are, the
bigger the difference between the two search indexes.

Query speed depends on different things: the query, the implementation, the operations needed to be performed during the query. Because of some functionality TXNG needs to store much more information than ZCTextIndex.
It did this as said above sometimes in a not so efficient way (see above).
You might also look at TextIndexNG V3.

-aj