David Bear wrote:
I am looking at a couple way of producing a qotd solution.

one way is to put quotes in a folder. Then use objectvalues on the
folder  and randomly select one of the items. I get get the objectid.
but I don't know what I use to get the 'content' of the object.. what
is the method to get the 'rendered' and unrendered content of an

In this case I'm using objects of type file (setting content type to
text/plain) (ofcourse the content is plain text)

I may find the using a zpt, html, or stx object will work better. I'm
hoping there is a method to get either a rendered view of the file,
(if zope knows how to render it) or unrendered, and I'll worry about
rendering it elsewhere.

The contents of a File object can be gotten at simply by calling it. You can also get at the underlying data with the 'data' attribute, which is useful if the contents are large (since it provides a 'Pdata' object rather than a string.) This is just as it says in http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/AppendixB.stx

Other object types, like those that have to do rendering, you can just call for the rendered content. Methods 'document_src' or 'read' will usually work for the source.

"Building Websites with Plone"