On Fri September 23 2005 04:31 pm, Chris Withers wrote:

> Ron Bickers wrote:
> > I have no idea.  Maybe it'll do what you want, but I don't understand
> > what it really does just from the description.  The work I needed to do
> > was external to Zope anyway (reading data from a MySQL database,
> > building PDFs with Reportlab, sending email), so it's actually better
> > that I'm outside of it.
> The open source Reportlab library right?
>  From what I've seen of their closed source stuff, it's way fast enough
> to do this all on the fly...

What I was doing wasn't fast enough; there were plenty of complaints from
customers.  But to be fair, it wasn't Reportlab that was slow.

The process had to retrieve hundreds (sometimes over a thousand) of
name/address records from a database, calculate the length of the longest
line in each when printed with a given font, pass that information to
Reportlab to format a page that would print each address centered on a label
(not center-aligned, but left-aligned with the whole thing in the center of
the label), attach the resulting PDF to an email and send it on.  I suspect
the slowest part was going through each of the hundreds of records and
calculating the size, but it really didn't matter; the whole thing took too
long to do on the fly.

Reportlab is *nice*, BTW.