On 10 Oct 2005, at 23:14, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
I understood that Plone does some extra magic, so I have to setup a
securoty context... I'll post it here if I have a working solution

Shouldn't really be the problem. Isn't portal_catalog just another
ZCatalog that has nothing to do with Plone except it's located inside
a Plone instance.

It *is* a problem. The reason is most likiely all the extra stuff the catalog tool adds to the query before it reaches the actual catalog. The workaround is something like this:

from Products.ZCatalog.ZCatalog import ZCatalog
results = ZCatalog.searchResults(portal_catalog, **kws)

That way you circumvent any query munging done in the catalog tool searchResults method, specifically the effective/expires and allowedRolesAndUsers filtering.

jens