At Thursday 5/1/2006 19:55, David Bear wrote:

I installed zope 2.7.4 from FreeBSD packages. Trouble is that I already had python 2.4 installed. It appears the package just used that version of python since zope says it is using python 2.4.

I've run in to a few wierd things and would like to get a zope instance a little more reliable. I was thinking of just making a copy of my zodb file, removing the zope pkgs, then do a source install with python 2.3.

Is the zodb file plug and play transferrable? Can I just copy the zodb into the a new zope instance and go?

Yes, usually. That depends a bit on the Products you have installed. When you remove a product, all its instances will become broken (your zodb might contain such old instances even if unused). Or, if the product does some not-so-portable things like storing a full path to an external file as an attribute (there are some examples...) you'll have some problems if you install into another directory. But in general, if no such odd things happen, it's just "plug and play".

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL