Hi Michael. First you need a way to get to the root of your site two different ways. First is using the domain you have your ssl on and the other for your other domain name(s)

www.domain_one.com               /site1
www.mysecure_domain.com/site1    /site1

If you have apache proxy then you can set up yoru ssl on port 443 to secure the domain you have the cert for. Under this domain you can have any number of sites so long as the domain and ip are the same. ie

So you will be able to get to the same site by either using

since in VHM they are both pointing to the same root (/site1 )

As far as the login on Plone, I do not use Plone but you would have to modify the zpt and script that calls the login to modify these links to the url to for the other domain. This is where I cannot be sure of what I did a year ago. I know for sure I had not completely worked it through and would need to look at this again. I tried this on CMF. Give me a day or two and I will see if I can locate anything more on this in my stuff. I wish I had a better memory but a year seems like a long time ago. :-)

michael nt milne wrote:
Ok, that's really interesting. Thanks. Yes I could just stay using SSL after the login if there's a problem with going non-ssl

I understand the setting up the single secure domain bit linked to the IP address but don't quite get how I would link each site's login areas to that? Basically are you saying you would, using re-write rules, just call http://www.plonesiteone.com/login_form - http://mysecure_domain.com/plonesiteone/login_form ?

It would be the same Plone login page but just have a different URL in the address bar, a https one?

Also would you need to use VHM because I've got Apache virtual hosts set-up without actually doing anything in Zope. As long as VHM is on it is all fine.