I much prefer to use __before_publishing_traverse__.
Eg.

class MyProduct(Something):
     def __before_publishing_traverse__(self, object, REQUEST):
           """ sort things out before publising object """
           stack = REQUEST['TraversalRequestNameStack']
           if len(stack)==2 and stack[0]=='members' and stack[1].isdigit():
               REQUEST.set('member_id', stack[1])
               stack.remove(stack[1])

That's my opinion.