Python eggs are fun and powerful. However, there is one thing I can't get right when using them for Zope projects:

Sometimes I would like eggs to live in $INSTANCE/lib/python instead of site-packages. E.g. if different instances needs different versions of a package.

However, easy_install won't install them there, because $INSTANCE/lib/python is not in the PYTHONPATH.

And I don't want to extend PYTHONPATH to include all my $INSTANCE/lib/python's -- that would prevent the different version pr. instance approach.

How does you egg front runners deal with this?

I'm on Windows if that matters.

/Anton