----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Problems starting ZEO with zeoctl

On 9/2/06, Jonathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The zeo.conf that I am running (Zope 2.9.2) has the 'user' entry commented
out:

[...]

I don't usually run zeoctl manually (my CentOS 4.3 system starts it at boot
time), but when I do I am running as 'root' and it works fine.

What is the security risk with doing this?

If you're running behind a firewall you could set your firewall so that port 8100 is blocked from outside access (ie. only your zeo client and zeo server, running behind the firewall, can communicate on port 8100 - or whatever port you have zeo configured to use)