From: "Tres Seaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 7:00 PM
Subject: [Zope] Re: newbie -- creating a Product

> Max M wrote:
>>> This is the first I have heard about Zope 2 being phased out...
>> Well .. get used to it then ;-)
>> Z2 will keep on being maintained until it is replaced by Z3. The goal of
>> the zope developers is not about keeping Z2 and Z3 running for as long
>> as possible. Only for as long as necessary.
>> Z2 is still being maintained, and will be for a long time. But the
>> development is all moving in the direction of Z3.
>> Read the changelog of the latest Z2 releases. They are practially only
>> about bugfixes and Z3 integration. Core Zope 2 development has
>> practically grinded to a halt. New developments are taking place in Zope
>> 3.
>> How is that not an outphasing?
> I would actually bet on Jim's "door #3" (Zope2 reabsorbing Zope3) as a
> more likely outcome.  Five years later, the number of production
> installations of Zope3 compared to Zope2 is statistically insignificant;
> the use of Zope3 technology within Zope2, however, is growing by leaps
> and bounds.

+1  I think this is a very realistic/feasible option.  The installed base of
Zope 2 applications is too large for Zope 2 to disappear, and porting Zope 2
applications to Zope 3 is not practical. I am hoping that "Door #3" is the
winning door!

Zope maillist  -
**   No cross posts or HTML encoding!  **