>> I have been able to fix the problem by adding this to my zope.conf:
>> <cgi-environment>
>> </cgi-environment>
> Should not play a role here.

However, if I remove it & restart zope, the problem comes back :)

>> I don't understand why this "fixes" the problem or if it is the correct
>> way to resolve this.
> Unlikely. Does it work with older Zope versions?

Previously the application was running in Zope 2.8 without this problem. I
have been making various changes to the application to make it work with
2.10 (fixing unicode errors, etc) but the database data has not changed
(has always been utf-8) and I don't think the way the input element is
generated has changed.

If it makes a difference, the page header (tal:define="dummy
python:request.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type', 'text/html;;
charset=utf-8');") is something I have added recently (in conjunction with
the upgrade). Previously only the meta http-equiv ... was on the page.