This is curious...

The problem I had with the searchterms not getting carried across pages
seems to have gone away. Here's what I changed. The two search forms are
separate dtml-methods and still are but I've included them into the main
page template like I originally planned. Something like this:

<dtml-var form1>
<dtml-var form2>
<etc. etc.

When the template is rendered both forms are rendered also. Except now
nothing breaks. The result page dtml scripts are still the same. I'm
scratching my head...

At least people can test the search facility while a more permanent
python + AJAX interfaces are built.