On Jan 26, 2008, at 00:20 , Ben Bartrum wrote:
The live server is a Sun server - the Zope installation was copied over from an older Sun server about a month ago, and seemed to run fine unless we try to log in.

The root folder of Zope does not have a MySQLUserfolder, but the main subfolder - which hosts the website - has. When authenticating to the website (MySQLUserfolder) I get the traceback. But I can also not authenticate to the ZMI (I get access denied with a known good password and with the emergency user.) But I know I should have access to the ZMI, because I can copy the Data.fs to a test server and login to that. So somehow now authentication is broken for both Zope and MySQL authentication. This led me to think the problem is in the Zope files, and I ran a diff between my test system (Debian) and the live Sun server.

Many files differ, but in a way one would expect - the Python path is not the same, so the first line of every .py file is different. Also, *.pyc and *.pyo differ - likely because of the different Python paths. But a number of file names on the Sun server worry me. They miss the last letter - for example __init__.p instead of __init__.py. I worry that the system admins (who I haven't met yet) may somehow have managed to lose the last letters of some file names, although I have no idea how that would be possible. Is it possible that Zope can run sucessfully with these incorrect filenames, and only the authentication is broken?

One thing that comes to mind is broken tar implementations on Solaris. Don't use their tar implementation, use gnutar instead.

jens