Miles wrote at 2008-3-5 12:20 +0000:
>Say I record the transaction ID of the last transaction to be backed up
>each night, pack the database, then with my next backup, only back up
>transactions with an ID above that.  Is there any reason why this
>wouldn't work as a strategy?
>
>Not sure I really want to be responsible for a completely custom backup
>strategy, but I would like to know a bit more...

Packing can change old transactions (by deleting no longer used
object records).

Also note that a FileStorage contains back references (references
from one object record to a previous object record). Such
back references make it difficult to sticht together a backup
for transactions until a given tid and one for transaction from this
tid onward -- when some packing has happened in between.

--
Dieter