Hi Dieter,

  That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Once I encode the strings in utf-8
there are no issues.

  That's a great tip about setting the content_type charset correctly. The
way I was handling this so far was to specify it in the header of the page
that was displaying the text:
charset=UTF-8')" tal:omit-tag=""></span>

  But setting the content type is a lot cleaner, so I'll be doing that from
now on.

Also, in case anyone googles this... by default Zope renders content with a