On 17.06.2011 23:57, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently, we have a Portal that was built starting in 2004 before
> buildout was available, so our development method has been to export
> and import from the Zope2 WebUI for deployment. That's been a real
> pain and since we've automated the rest of our infrastructure with
> Chef we'd like to be able to do that with Zope. So my question is does
> anyone have pointers for migrating an app that mostly lives in the
> ZODB to a build-out style architecture that we could control with
> Chef? I see tutorials on starting a new Zope 2 app from scratch with
> buildout but nothing on migrating an older one to build out. For
> example, how would we create objects like MySQLUserFolders etc from
> buildout? Thank you in advance.
>
> -J
First, would it not be worthwhile to migrate to a newer Plone?
We also still run some very old Plone sites. However, as soon as we have to
touch one of them in a non trivial way, we migrate.
It is a might require some efforts, especially if you have customized your site
heavily.

If you can not migrate:
Why do you want to have buildout creating MySQLUserFolders?

Buildout is about setting up your Zope/Plone environment, not about creating
data.
You set up a buildout 2.5 with all the tools you need. Then, when it runs to
your satisfaction you copy over the Data.fs of your NOBuildout structure.

robert