On Dec 1, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Alex Clark wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm already confused :-). Is templer.core the zopeskel
> package renamed?

I wish it were a bit less confusing, but let me try to explain.

zopeskel as it currently exists will eventually be replaced by an empty egg
which simply depends on all the various templer.whatever packages I am working
on creating now.  That way, folks will still be able to 'easy_install zopeskel'
and get exactly what they get now.

However, because we are breaking the big zopeskel up into smaller templer
pieces, someone could also easy_install templer.plone_core and get only the
templates that help them to create plone namespace and plone.app namespace
packages, or easy_install templer.plone_addons and get theme and add-on package
templates, or perhaps easy_install templer.plone and get all of the
plone-related templates.

We can even start creating templates for other systems, so perhaps there might
eventually be templates for pylons, django, grok, or whatever else is out
there.  The core package really only includes the basics for a very simple
namespace and nested namespace packages.  I'm even considering removing the
zc.buildout recipe template that is currently there and putting it into a
separate buildout base package so we can start templating buildouts for all
sorts of systems.  I'm constantly throwing together quick buildouts for
development work I'm doing in django.  I want a django buildout template :)

Anyway, I hope this helps make clear what is going on here.  Read the manifesto
on splitting zopeskel in the trunk of the zopeskel code.  Joel Burton does a
fantastic job of laying out the aims and rationale behind these moves.  I'm
just the guy to whom the job fell.

Thanks for asking, and for taking a look.

Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services
University of Washington