Federico, on Wednesday, we agreed that you send us an example that shows when
you have to copy over the identifier of a node that is being copied. Have you
done it? (it's possible that I missed it in the deluge of emails).

In the meantime, and in the interest of making some progress, shall we delete
the copy-reference stuff from the identifiers branch, so that we can merge it
to the trunk. The copy-reference stuff is not actually used anywhere within the
identifiers branch, so removing it will make for a "cleaner" (more
self-contained) commit. If we decide that we really need it, you can put the
copy-reference stuff to the branch where it is actually used, and then it will
be easier to understand as well.