IMHO, the point of "built-in modules" was to prevent the overhead of
*compiling* those modules, not bypassing URI resolution per se. It is true,
though, that invoking URI resolution implies a bit of performance overhead. I
believe that if only the URI mapping stage is invoked that the overhead will be
relatively small. It probably is important to bypass the URL Resolution stage,
because that's where things like making network connections to download the
module might occur.

I agree that using exceptions to communicate results isn't ideal, but I think
the code reuse and API consolidation outweighs that concern in this case.
However, it would actually be pretty easy to either modify apply_uri_mappers()
or provide a slight variant of that method (with appropriate refactoring) which
simply checked for DENY_ACCESS and returned a bool instead of throwing an
exception. I could do that if you like.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~zorba-coders/zorba/bug-988417-block-internal-module/+merge/103542