> Is this file automatically maintained by the RQ in case of a progression?

I think so. That was the original idea, if I remember correctly. After the
testsuite is run the known failures file is updated.

I've looked into the testdriver, and there is some code that seems to do that,
see testdriver_mt.cpp at line 1118:
      std::cout << "No regressions and some progressions!" << std::endl
                << "Updating known failures file "
                << knownFailuresFilepath << std::endl;
      std::ofstream knownFailuresFile(knownFailuresFilepath.c_str());
      knownFailuresFile << failedTests.str();