Is the code replication exact, or very nearly exact? If so I think I'd go with
option 2. (If it was only 50-100 lines of code I'd pick option 1, but 600 lines
seems like rather a lot.) I suspect that the XML http-client will be with us
for quite some time.

I agree that option 3, while clean, probably has too much conversion overhead.

I'm not sure if there are any best-practices here for implementing #2. As far
as I know, there's no real concept of a protected module. For now, just make it
a new module in the core with the conversion functions public, and a big XQDoc
comment stating that this module isn't intended to be used by anyone other than
the two http-client modules and that we make no promises about maintaining the
API or the module itself.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~zorba-coders/zorba/http-client-based-on-json-http-client/+merge/169578
Your team Zorba Coders is subscribed to branch lp:zorba/http-client-module.