Question regarding the typical way Zotonic is deployed on (potentially)
high-traffic production sites.

How many people use Zotonic/Cowboy without a proxy in front? I read that
the creator of Cowboy recommends using a proxy, and many Elixir/Phoenix
developers appear to use a proxy also, partially for the security that
having a well-tested front end filtering bad requests can provide...along
with nice traffic stats.

I ask this question because I am setting up a new server now, and there are
two issues that have come up using HAProxy in front of Zotonic so far.

1) There are some issues with Stripe/mod_payment(_stripe) that may be
related to Stripe headers being modified (need further testing).
2) It would be nice for Zotonic to send emails directly, rather than using
an external SMTP server. However, that requires Erlang compatible
certificates, which means overhauling the current certificate
acquisition/distribution flow and/or managing different certificates types
for the Proxy and Zotonic.

In both cases it seems simpler to simply remove the proxy and let
Zotonic/Cowboy handle traffic directly. I read somewhere that MZeeman found
Zotonic was much faster without a proxy, but in his situation most users
are paying customers, not random internet users.

Any feedback is welcome...

--

---