> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 02:10:05AM -0800, gato wrote:

> > > Hi,
>
> > > Sorry for the delay in response, but most of the zumastor team is busily
> > > working on Tux3 right now (www.tux3.org).
>
> > > What you are experiencing seems to be the expected behavior with what we
> > > call "squashing" snapshots.  The problem is that zumastor is trying to
> > > save more data in the snapshot store than there is room for, so
> > > something has to give.  In the default case, the oldest snapshot is
> > > removed.
>
> > > It is possible to make a snapshot "un-squashable" by setting the
> > > priority on it to the highest value (127).  As you would expect, the
> > > snapshots of higher priority will be removed last.  And those with the
> > > highest possible value with never be squashed (failing IO to the origin
> > > rather than allowing squashing).
>
> > > Another issue (especially if this is a new filesystem), is that you may
> > > be snapshotting what is "free space" as far as the filesystem is
> > > concerned.  We had some discussion about adding some hooks to avoid
> > > doing this copy out to save snapshot space.
>
> > > A better solution is sharing free space between the origin and snapshot
> > > (which is one of the things Tux3 is designed to do), and that technology
> > > should eventually be ported back to zumastor.  This is also a
> > > performance optimization because the origin is "re-mapped".  There is
> > > the downside that you won't be able to disable zumastor and access the
> > > origin as you normally would.
>
> > > Do you have any thoughts on how we could make zumastor more
> > > user-friendly in this respect? (squashing snapshots, how to notify user,
> > > etc).
>
> > > Thanks for the report!
> > > Shapor
>
> > Hi,
> > Thanks for Your answer. Could you tell me how to set priority for the
> > snapshot because I can't find it in documentation.
> > I think to make Zumastor user-friendly is change notify user when
> > snapshot is full and remove unavailable snapshots without restart
> > daemon.
> > I'm going to continue testing Zumastor.
> > Best regards
> > gato
>
> The priority feature is documented in the ddsnap man page "man ddsnap".
> It is not exposed via the zumastor script.  I think it would make sense
> to add a "prefer snapshots" kind of option to "define master" so you can
> inform zumastor to set snapshots of a particular rotatation to
> "unsquashable".
>
> The ddsnap syntax would be something like:
>
> Do you have any thoughts on how we could make it more useful, perhaps:
> zumastor define volume .... --nosquash
> or for a particular rotation:
> zumastor define master ... --daily 7 --nosquash
>
> Regards,
> Shapor

Hi,
I have been testing ddsnap priority and it doesn't work.
I used test from my friend shocker but I added priority 127 for
snapshot0 and priority 1 (or 0 ) to next one snapshots.
After change contents of the first file (it means that space for
snapshots is overflow) and taking 5th snapshot I have got IO errors
and others like: "incoming: Snapshot 8 read failure" and
"replied_rw:Unable to handle pending IO Serverr 270ff80"
Mount point of logical volume in zumastor is lost and any snapshots
and any data on logical volume after restart zumastor disappear.

Regards,
gato