In a message dated 10/19/04  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

<<Looking for information on system performance while using a 7100 with an G3
upgrade card.  How well does an upgraded 7100 run OS X, and OS 9.  Are there
any software issues with using these cards? >>

First, OS X is out. You need at least a PCI Mac even to be unsupported. A G3
B &W is the minimum supported CPU for the latest version of OS X.

With that said, generally you will see a big performance improvement with a
G3 upgrade; depending on what applications you use. I'm using a newertechnology
300 MHz G3 card in a 6100 with 1 MB backside cache writing this message. It
makes the old nubus machines workable for web surfing and consumer graphic
editing requirements.

My 7100 with a 240 MHz upgrade runs a FileMaker database. Sorting has and
printing has definitely become snappier but the overall performance is not that
much greater than the original 80 MHz 601 processor which was adequate before
the upgrade.

You can find G3 upgrade cards on the ELM swap list for $20-30. That's where I
got the one in my 7100. It was definitely worth the price.

And as has been stated in other posts you are limited to 128 MB RAM and if
you need to run newer apps, OS X, USB or Firewire get a newer machine; at least
a G3 B&W or a G4 Sawtooh if you can afford one --glen (digest mode)