> I have a small network at home consisting of a PowerMac 6100, a Dell
> something-or-other, and my primary weapon of choice, my 17" original
> (meaning 800Mhz G4 chipped) flat screen iMac that has 768MB ram.
>
> When I got the iMac, I wanted to use my Laserwriter Pro printer with it, but
> could not make it work.  I was told that the slow bus on the printer was not
> compatible with the high speed of the iMac.  BTW The Laserwriter has the
> original standard amount of ram.  If I remember correctly, it came with 8mb
> ram.
>
> If I remember correctly, the Laserwriter "job in progress" light would blink
> and blink and blink but it would never print anything.
>
> So I just gave up and used the Epson C80 that came with the iMac.
>
> But now it bothers me that the Laserwriter has just been sitting there
> gathering dust.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the Laserwriter to work with the
> iMac?

Not sure how the iMac and LaserWriter are destined to work together, but
I'll describe my network and you can take it for what it is worth.

I have a 9600 Sonnet G4/450, a 6500 Sonnet G3/400, a IIci Daystar Turbo 601,
a Color Classic, sometimes some other compacts and one or another Windoze
box, current an eMachines running XP.  For printers, I have a LaserWriter
16/600, a Color StyleWriter 6500 and sometimes an ImageWriter with an
AppleTalk card.  Everything is connected through an ethernet hub.

The Color StyleWriter and ImageWriter are connected to the network via a
Farallon ethermac adapter, basically a LocalTalk bridge.  The LaserWriter
has ethernet built in and is connected directly to the hub.

The one exception is the Windoze to LaserWriter which have a direct parallel
connection on LPT1.  The LaserWriter will handle multiple connections
without issue.

The only input I can offer for you assumes that your LaserWriter Pro has an
ethernet connection.  Are you trying to directly connect the LaserWriter or
are you connecting it through a hub.  I would think this would help.  Do you
have the Apple Printer Utility?  This may help configure the printer.  Have
you tried the LaserWriter with the Dell or PowerMac?  You're sure it is
working properly, yes?  If you don't have ethernet on the LaserWriter, try
setting it up on the 6100 and sharing it.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

David

  --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal