Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:05:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [1st] Modem connection problem with 7100/80 - more
From: Bill Judson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Well, I tried installing SimplePPP and it's worse - can't even get it to
> dial.
>
> Any thoughts?

[...]
> I just got a PowerMac 7100/80. Doesn't seem to ever have had a modem (was on
> a college network). I downloaded and installed freePPP. I have attached 3
> modems (28.8 and V.92), all of which dial, connect and immediately disconned
> from ISP.
>
> FreePPP seems to be working just fine but INSTANTLY, as soon as it connects
> to ISP, I get "One moment please, Closing PPP connection" box. This doesn't
> seem to be an error message, per se.
>
> Any suggestions? Should I try downloading and installing SimplePPP or
> MacPPP? I have tried launching FreePPP netively (by pressing Connect), and
> from both Eurora and Netscape, and the same thing happens...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Something like that has happened to me several times when I've tried new
connections to new ISPs or from newly installed OSes. It would turn out
either that I didn't have my user name & password correctly filled in, or
(in OS 8.0 & 8.1) I didn't have the ISP's DNS name server addr. numbers in
the box in the TCP/IP control panel, (which supposedly you don't need filled
in if you're using a PPP server, but under those systems you actually do,
although it usually just won't give you any pages, rather than actually hang
up). What OS are you using?

Another possibility is that you have incorrrect settings for connection
speed (which shouldn't matter, but sometimes does), or things like TCP
header compression or error correction (using Remote Access as an example).
See what your ISP recommends.

In point of fact, Remote Access is usually the dialer I use now, but your OS
on the 7100 may be too old for that to be installed. Since you have a Nubus
Mac, maybe you have MacTCP. One suggestion thay had for that, back in the
day, is to trash the DNS file, whatever it was named, the 1 that always
shows up in your System folder, rather than in the Preferences, & reenter
the settings. Do that early & often.

--

Bill

Art page: <http://geocities.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
 -- Sonnet & PowerLogix Upgrades - start at $169  |  & CDRWs on Sale!  |

End of 1st PowerMacs Digest #1570 *********************************