<<
> It probably is a heat problem - it definately lasts longer with the
> DOS card removed. I've got a small fan that I might mount in there to
> increase the airflow a bit. (or I could watercool it of course ;). Now
> that would be a sight to see)

You might also be able to try replacing the fan in the powersupply with one
with a higher CFM rating.  Something I was considering before I finally got a
new computer. I may still do it sometime when I have more space to set things
up in.

As it is though.... the fan is under the power supply, and the vent is under
the hard drive.  Can't imagine much air flows under or over the expantion
cards in the corner.... probably just sits there spinning around if anything.

You can prop up the 6100 case on bottle caps to give it an extra 1/2 inch or
so which will allow better airflow out the bottom. I used cat litter caps. You
could use prescription medication caps, a small block of wood or plastic --
anything to raise the case.

A second thought for cooling is to find one of those "clock chipper" fans
that press fit into the heat sink. I think they are a standard 40 mm fan thin
enough to press into the heat sink. I have one but can't find it to give an
exact
measurements. Any good electronic supplier should have one for a few dollars.

Just raising the case gives my 6100 with a 300 MHz G3 with an AV card bracket
(similar to the DOS card bracket) sufficient cooling in the summer when room
temps exceed 90 F.

However, since your 6100 still overheats without the DOS card perhaps the
heat sink grease has dried out as mentioned in an earlier post by Jeff.  In
that
case following Jeff's suggestions to fix that problem would be a good start.
Good luck -- glen.

  --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal