From: Eli <elish...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 11:41 AM
To: 389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: [389-users] Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted
by the user

Hello,

I am trying to setup a mutual based TLS authenticated 389-DS LDAP server, where
the client and the server will perform certificate based authentication.
This should be test system and not a production system.

I have a Windows CA signed on the LDAP server certificate and the client
certificate (.p12). The server has its the CA root and its own cert loaded:
[root@ldap2sit slapd-ldap2sit]# certutil -K -d .
certutil: Checking token "NSS Certificate DB" in slot "NSS User Private Key and
Certificate Services"
< 0> rsa      90f72656c6c26fad75fbc5787105197301d76bab   Server-Cert
[root@ldap2sit slapd-ldap2sit]#
[root@ldap2sit slapd-ldap2sit]#
[root@ldap2sit slapd-ldap2sit]# certutil -L -d .

Certificate Nickname                                         Trust Attributes
                                                             SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI

Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
ca_cert                                                      C,,

I have a client defined in the LDAP:
uid=a47886b9fffc , cn=a47886b9fffc , o=Avaya , l=Holon, mail=eshmu...@avaya.com

The certificate I have on the client is:
Issued to: a47886b9fffc
Issued by: sititcdc  (which is the same CA signed the server certificate and
its root in loaded to the server)
Issuer: cn=sititcdc,dc=sititc,dc=dom
Subject: e=eshmu...@avaya.com, cn=a47886b9fffc, ou=SIT, o=Avaya, L=Holon,
S=Israel, C=IL

My /etc/dirsrv/ldap2sit/certmap.conf:
certmap ldap2sit        o=Avaya,l=Holon
ldap2sit:DNComps
ldap2sit:FilterComps    cn
ldap2sit:verifycert     on

When trying connecting I get connection failure with with following entries in
/var/log/dirsrv/.../error:
[02/Apr/2019:20:33:11.096582067 +0300] conn=5 fd=64 slot=64 SSL connection from
149.49.161.10 to 149.49.78.110
[02/Apr/2019:20:33:11.139068683 +0300] conn=5 Netscape Portable Runtime error
-8172 (Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.);
unauthenticated client
E=eshmu...@avaya.com,CN=a47886b9fffc,OU=SIT,O=Avaya,L=Holon,ST=Israel,C=IL;
issuer CN=sititcdc,DC=sititc,DC=dom
[02/Apr/2019:20:33:11.139131964 +0300] conn=5 op=-1 fd=64 closed - Peer's
certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.

In wireshark trace I see the server is closing the TCP/TLS connection with
alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Unknown CA)

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Eli
This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential
or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly
error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the communication and any attachments.